Mimi Coffey is a criminal defense lawyer with 24 years of experience. Through the years, she has represented people accused of DWI and other crimes dating back to 1995. In that time period, she has dedicated herself to all facets of defense work. Her training and education, particularly in the field of DWI is extensive.
Her highly trained credentials include:
Mimi’s DWI focused background:
- Mimi has the NHTSA standardized field sobriety practitioner and instructor course training (through Bob LaPier’s courses, former law enforcment out of Idaho).
- Mimi attended both Borkenstein courses on alcohol and drugs (one of only a small group of lawyers nationwide). This is the course that county and state toxicologists take.
- Mimi received training on the Intoxilyzer 5000 (Charlie Smith’s course in Florida).
- Mimi completed the mini DRE review course (the Drug Recognition Expert evaluation process used on DWI drugs and prescriptions through Dr. Lance Platt, former Texas TCLEOSE law enforcement).
- In addition, she has also attended the gas chromatography school (used in blood testing) at Axion Labs.
Mimi’s Practical experience:
- Mimi understands DWI. She has taken the 12 hour DWI course required for a convicted DWI to maintain a Texas driver’s license.
- She completed the MADD Victim Impact Panel in Dallas.
- Mimi had a Smart Start interlock device on her car for months.
- She has also had the home unit (otherwise known as the “home device” or Soberlink) requiring multiple blows a day.
- Mimi classifies herself as a “social drinker.” “My experience with alcohol runs the full course. I know what it is like to imbibe too much, and I also know that mere alcohol alone does not make you intoxicated.”
Mimi’s Love for the field of DWI is infectious:
- Since 1999, she has been very involved in teaching DWI Defense to other lawyers across Texas and the country. She started by organizing a DWI seminar for Tarrant County, which led to her own seminar company dedicated to teaching lawyers about DWI’s, Cowtown CLE. This led her to nonprofit seminar work for TCDLA and the NCDD.
The Coffey Firm strives to emphasize the human element in criminal defense just as much as the legal side. We, at The Coffey Firm, strive to help our clients regain their sense of self, purpose and confidence. Few things are more terrifying than an arrest. We are here to help, not judge. No one should feel embarrassed or ashamed. It’s not how many times we fall that defines us, but how many times we pick ourselves up and move forward.
Texas DWI Law and the Texas DWI Process is very scary and confusing for anyone who is arrested for a DWI. Mimi and her staff are here to help. Everyone makes mistakes. Getting arrested for a DWI or a crime is traumatizing. The process is scary, worrisome, and embarrassing. Who hasn’t had a social drink and gotten behind the wheel? Most of us have. The Coffey Firm is committed to doing the best it can to help those accused of DWI.